Thursday, June 10, 2010

Amazing Vegan Gluten-Free Fudge!

This recipe came from Hannah Kaminshy, the author of My Sweet Vegan. Check out the book! I just went to the store and I cannot wait to try some more of the author's recipes. An added bonus is that this author just started college! She developed the book while she was in high school and is hoping that the book will help her to fund her college career.

I changed the recipe a bit because,well, I don't like to use quite so much sugar and I didn't think there was enough vanilla (I love love love vanilla!). So here is the slightly modified version of this lovely fudge. You can always look at the original version in the actual book!

Coconut fudge

1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons "butter" (I used Earth Balance shortening)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 + or - tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup coco powder (I use organic fair trade coco powder- it tastes better and is better for the soul too!)
unsweetened coconut for topping

Grease 8x8 pan and set aside

On the stove combine the coconut milk and butter and heat until bubbles start to form. If you let it go too long, as I did, the coconut/margarine milk will pop and can reach great heights as it begins to boil. I had to clean off the stove top fan!

While the milk mixture is heating combine chocolate chips, sugar, and coco powder. Pour hot milk mixture on top of the dry mix and let set for a minute and then mix until the chocolate chips are melted. Add in Vanilla.

Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle coconut on top. The book calls for a cup of coconut but I just sprinkled until I thought I had enough. some people in my family love coconut, others not so much. Part of the pan had a thick coating of coconut and part only a light "dusting".

Cool in the refrigerator until hard. Cut and store in freezer or fridge. This fudge is VERY rich. Small pieces are better than large.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment