Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Raspberry Macaroons

I had forgotten about this recipe until my uncle came into town and asked me to make them for him again. That got me scrambling to try and find the original recipe and then remember how I had adapted it....I couldn't quite remember but this is what it looks like now:

Macaroon:

Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or so

4 egg whites
two pinches of salt
about 2 T of Vanilla (I just poured in some until I felt it was right)
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 2/3 cup coconut
2+ heaping T of coca powder

Beat egg whites, salt, and vanilla until they form stiff peeks. Just beat and then keep beating. Fold in the sugar slowly beating as you go. Keep on beating! Add in the coca powder and then beat some more. By this point my arm was quite tired (I was trying out my new hand mixer! but you can use your electric beaters!). Fold in coconut and mix well.
Use a spoon to scoop out the size macaroons you desire and place on a greased cookie sheet.

Once finished place macaroons on wire rack to cool.

While the Macaroons are cooking start on the Chocolate Raspberry sauce that you will drizzle on them when they are done!

Sauce:
Two heaping handfuls of raspberries
heaping cup of chocolate chips
1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar (This is to taste so start out with 1/4 cup and add as you taste. Some berries are more tart than other and the same goes with the chocolate you use)
1+ T of vanilla*

Place raspberries in sauce pot along with sugar and vanilla start took. Allow for raspberries to soften. Add in chocolate and stir constantly. Melt chocolate completely. Taste (but be careful! the mixture will be HOT!) and add more sugar or vanilla if needed. Drizzle over the cooling macaroons and let cool. Enjoy!

*I always add more vanilla than a recipe calls for. In reality I probably use anywhere from 1 to 3T.





No comments:

Post a Comment